ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE
The Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2021 is open entry to all fighters from all nationalities.
The AJP competition rules will be applied.
* No White Belts for World Pro 2021
- A Technical Official from the AJP will delegate responsibility to a suitable individual, who will be responsible for operating the category combining policy.
- This policy applies to all weight categories within all age divisions.
- Category combining may only be applied to categories where there are less than three entrants. If category combining cannot be achieved safely and according to the guidelines, then a pool of three elimination systems may be considered, or the best of three contests between the two players.
- Combining weights within the same age division - competitors should remain within their age group division if possible.
- When there is only one athlete on the bracket, points are not counted.
- If there's only one or two player, the division may be cancelled and they will be moved to the upper weight divisions.
• The registration fee is refundable until the registration's deadline.
• If you would like to make any changes you have till the last day of registration to change directly in your account profile. Click here:
• The registration fee cannot be transferred to another member or championship
For Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championships 2021, the draw will take place four days before the fights begin.
The draw will be carried out by computer with the use of the AJP software using AJP World Rank seeding.
For the Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championships 2021 the top athletes among the entered athletes in each weight category will be placed per their AJP World Rank position. For the rest of the draw separation by nations will be respected. However, seeding position will take priority over separation by nation in categories where there are enough numbers to apply.
With a limit number of fighters per country for each of the men’s and women’s competition, fighters from the same country will be placed on the same side of the brackets. The AJP will utilize the official AJP World Ranking as a method of brackets seeding.
All the fighters will be eligible for the Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2021, with a limit of 2 fighters from a given country to the eight or quarter or semi-finals (Adult & Master 1 - Brown and Black Belts divisions only). With a maximum of two eligible fighters (wild cards) from each country, applied for that countries does not already have two or more fighters among the top fighters ranked.
For other belts only the countries seeding will be applied and no country limits for main brackets.
If necessary, the AJP will agree to modify with technical commission approval.
COUNTRY SELECTION PROCESS FOR COUNTRIES WITH OVER QUOTA (2 FIGHTERS* **):
The top brown & black belt fighters (1st ranked) will be directly eligible based on the AJP World Ranking. Only one top country fighter will be selected according the AJP World Rank.
*Priorities are given to the best ranked fighters to choose the division desired to register (weight category is not yet a determination).
** Fighters not ranked as a 1st at AJP World Ranking in the respective division registered will be placed into the COUNTRY QUALIFIERS.
The second additional fighter will be qualified through the COUNTRY QUALIFIERS (Applied for ADULT & MASTER 1 - BROWN & BLACK BELT DIVISIONS only).
COUNTRY QUALIFIERS is a qualification method to select the 2nd fighter for the countries with over quota.
COUNTRY QUALIFIERS will be defined one day before of the 2nd round on Thursday (eight or quarter finals or semi finals), check the schedule TAB for more details.
THE AJP WORLD RANKING IS THE MATHEMATICAL METHOD OF RANKING MEN AND WOMEN ON A CALENDAR-YEAR BASIS.
1. The AJP World Ranking is the objective merit-based method used for determining qualification for entry and seeding in World Championships.
2. The AJP World Ranking runs approximately 65 times per year (only GI championships). *NO GI championships will count points for NO GI Ranking.
3. Every fighter who has earned AJP World Ranking points in an eligible AJP championship during the entry ranking period is included in the AJP World Ranking.
4. Fighters are not allowed to change their nationality or team academy during the season, due to the Country and Academy Ranking System.
The year-end AJP Ranking is based on the total points for each fighter accrued in the following championships:
- Five (5) Abu Dhabi Grand Slams Tour
- Six (6) Abu Dhabi Continental Pro Championships
- Thirty (30) Abu Dhabi National Pro Championships
- Thirty (30) Abu Dhabi International Pro Championships
AJP World Ranking period is from May 1st 2020 to November 30th 2021.
Tiebreaker rules in case the division has two fighters with the same rank:
In case the same number of points:
- The highest sum of the current points from all Grand Slams.
- The highest sum of the current points from all Continental Pro, followed by National Pro, International Pro.
- The highest current points from one single event, then, if needed, the second highest, and so on.
- If the competitors are still equal the decision will be taken by the number of matches done by the fighter through the season, followed by the fastest submission(s) or who made more points during the matches in case of World Pro Qualification.
1. Depending the Events, because the number of absenteeism/no showed up fighters. Brackets will be generated right after the Weigh In. AJP will decide in which event in order to accommodate all the fighters with one fight at least.
2. Depending on the number of athletes in the tournament, some classes may not have the division.
3. If there's only one player, the division will be cancelled and they will be moved to the next divisions, 2 (two) is the minimum players for the division happen. Same case for Masters divisions.
4. Some AJP events it will be allowed to add a new fighter in the brackets (with proper approved membership affiliation) or merging categories at the competition day:
- First Rule applied: Respect the age group.* Fighters will be moved to an upper weight category, but always remaining the age division enrolled.Example: Player will be moved from Master 2 white belt -62 to Master 2 White belt -120, otherwise fighter can request a full refund or to move to another age group = ADULT instead of.
- Second Rule applied: If there are no players at the age group enrolled in upper weight division. * Fighters will be moved to a lower age group.Example: From Master 2 white belt -85 to Master 1 white belt -85, if there are no player registered in Master 1, he will be automatically moved to Adult white belt -85
- Third rules applied: If there are no players at the age group enrolled and not weight category.AJP will merge weight categories, age group and belt divisions* Brown Belt with Black Belt* Blue Belt with Purple Belt (female Purple divisions can be merged with Brow/Black)* White Belt will not be merged* Example: Master 1 Brown Belt -120 with Master 1 Black Belt -120
5. Divisions with 2 (two) players will run normally, Fighters won't be moved to next division.
6. Fighters alone in a bracket will NOT have ranking points credited. Fighter will be moved for an upper divisions.
- In case there are no fighters to merge the division such Women's 95 kilos or Men's 120 kilos, the points will be credited.
- Also in case where there is a non showed up or disqualification after the brackets are generated.
7. Players from the same club can be placed on the same side of the brackets.
8. If two fighters (team-mates) are suspected of fixing a fight, they will both be subject to disqualification from the tournament. In suspected cases, the Central Referee should stop the fight as soon as possible and request the supervision of the Referee Coordinator. The fight will then continue with the Referee Coordinator reserving the right to disqualify both competitors should the Referee Coordinator deem the fight to be fixed.
The weigh-in will take place the day before the division starts or in the morning as indicated in the schedule.
A basic summary of the Accreditation process is below:
- Passport or valid ID Verification
- Fighters registrations details
Weigh-in is the first process whereby the fighters will do when they arrival at Championship.
The official weigh in dress:
- Players must be with non-transparent T-shirt and shorts covering up to the knees. Otherwise player can weigh in wearing kimono pants and T-shirts.
- Singlets and small shorts are not allowed.
Weighing may be performed from one day before, one hour before or during the tournament (check tab schedule which one is applicable):
- If you don’t come to the weigh in (to check weight) you will be automatically disqualified
- Reasonable time will be given to you, so being late will not be tolerated
- You have to pass the weigh-in according the deadline stipulate by the event.
A maximum weight is applied according to the event divisions, a fighter should not exceed this weight on the weigh-in day (check divisions tab on this event).
White, blue and black GI are obligatory and its recommend competitors must have two types for finals. All GI must conform to the current AJP regulations regarding size, materials, patches, etc.
MAIN DRAW - ALL BELTS / ADULT, MASTER 1 & 2
The type of competitions system to be applied in the competition will depend on the number of entries as follows:
1 entry – no contest (or category combining / moving up fighters).
2 entries – best of three contests (or category combining). If it is 2-0 then the third contest will not be fought.
3 entries – round robin, pool of three (or category combining).
4 entries – round robin, pool of four.
5 entries – round robin, pool of five.
6 entries – two pools of round robin, each with three players. Top two players from each pool progress to the semi-finals with the winner of Pool A fighting the runner-up from Pool B and the winner of Pool B fighting the runner-up from Pool A.
7 entries and above - Double elimination with eight finals repeache. The athletes defeated in the eighth finals will compete for bronze medal, single elimination system will be used to produce the third place.
PS: For Country Qualifiers Single elimination will be applied. After losing a match in the qualifier draw, a participant is out of the main brackets division and out of the competition.
MAIN DRAW - BRACKETS FORMAT
If less than 6 fighters Round Robin will be used.
Over 7 fighters and above Double elimination will be used.
Runners up on the eight finals and quarter and semi finals, fight for 3rd place repechage.
COUNTRY QUALIFIERS DRAW- BRACKETS FORMAT
Round Robin if less than 6 fighters (only first advance to the second round)
Single elimination if more than 7 fighters (only first advance to the second round)
Runners up are out of the competition
Only for Brown Belt and Black Belt (Adult and Master 1)
The Country Qualifier draw is a single elimination brackets that stops after a designated round. Fighters that have not been eliminated all advance to a specific spot in the main bracket where the champion is determined.
Competitors who qualify advance into another double elimination brackets know as the main draw, but for World Pro other draw formats can also be used as the main draw, round robin tournament brackets will be used if the divisions has less than 6 fighters from different countries that meet the first rules, a maximum of 2 fighters per country in the main brackets..
In the Brown Belt and Black Belt divisions (Adult and Master 1), higher ranked fighter do not have to fight in the qualifier draw and have a seeded spot in the main bracket.
The main draw that the qualifier draw feeds into has the top country seeded fighter that do not have to qualify matched-up against the lowest seeded qualifiers in early rounds.
The qualifier draw would be used in a ABU DHABI WORLD PROFESSIONAL JIU-JITSU CHAMPIONSHIP only and will not be used in other event in the AJP season. Grand Slams, National Pro, International Pro will have no limits per country and will run as single elimination brackets.
Top fighters fights fewer matches. Top fights work hard to reach the points while other fighters has to qualify for their others spots.
After losing a match in the qualifier draw, a participant is out of the main brackets division.
ROUND ROBIN RULES:
In the case of 6 competitors or less: a round robin system produces the gold and silver and one bronze for the 3rd place.
“Round Robin” Is defined as a system where each competitor will compete against each other.
To define the winners the following criteria are used:
1. First criteria: Number of wins
2. Second criteria (in case of an equal number of wins): The highest sum of submissions will decide
3. Third criteria (in case of an equal number of wins): The highest sum of winning score points will decide.
4. Fourth criteria (in case of equal number of wins and sum of winning score points): Direct comparison.
- If two contestants have equal number of wins and sum of score point, the contestant who won the contest between them is defined as better
5. Fifth criteria (in case of equal number of wins and no direct comparison possible because of “beating in circle”): The shortest accumulated time of all winning contests will decide
6. Sixth criteria (in case of equal time): Weight at the weigh-in. The competitor with the lower weight is defined as better.
7. Seventh criteria (in case of same weight): Decision matches. A knock-out system between the involved players will be used. A new draw has to be performed.